8.25.2009

Hugs, Handshakes, High Fives, and Tootsie Rolls

Every week as we pull into the parking lot, they start looking for his car.  

Mauryn yells " I see it."  to any car that is the same color. But then gently Landon reminds her "No silly that is not his car."  He keeps looking until I hear " I found it Mama. He's here."

I can't get them unbuckled or across the parking lot fast enough.

Mauryn bursts through the church doors "CHARWEE!" and straight into his waiting arms.  She grabs his neck and gives him a squeeze and a smile.  When she releases from his neck, he sneaks her a tootsie roll.  She loves Charlie. Not just because he gives her tootsie rolls but because she knows he loves her.

Landon patiently waits for his turn.  Charlie always tries to grab his offering which Landon purposely leaves in his hand so they can play this game.  Then Landon gives him a handshake or high five and waits for his tootsie roll.  He giggles, smiles, and enjoys this moment of feeling special and loved.

Charlie's eyes shine with love.  He is showing my kids about God's love in his quiet way.  He is an example of how God is waiting for us with open arms, a smile, a hug, eyes filled with love, and He is waiting with some sweet, wonderful things if we are take the time to love Him and have a relationship with Him.

Thanks Charlie for being such a great example for my kids.  We love you!

* My brave, courageous friend Sarah is sharing the story of her marriage journey on her blog this week. You can read part I here and part II here.  

7 comments:

Jackie said...

I love that post, and I love that you and your family loves the Lord as we do. What an awesome message. What an awesome God we have.
God Bless
Jackie
please stop by one of our blogs I would love to hear from you.
www.toddandjackiearepressingon.blogspot.com
www.idahoroundpen.blogspot.com

Leah said...

Aww, that is so sweet! I bet he doesn't have any grandkids of his own nearby, does he?

Susan said...

That's awesome...Jack has one of our Pastors at church that he looks for EVERY week. Pastor Dan. I need to get a picture of them. Great reminder...and isn't it so true how these Godly men can play such a role in our kiddos lives. Especially those of us who don't have family in town.

Melissa said...

so "charwee" is my grandpa in-law. i married tara's cousin but we live in california, so i saw her send your blog link to her mom on facebook and knew i had to read what papa had been up to! i cried seeing how you've captured just who he is. we love him too!

Jenni S. said...

This is precious, Kristen. And I love how you tell it. It's clear he means a lot to your family.

Scott said...

Your tribute to Charlie is wonderful! I am going to print this off to show him, unless you are already planning on doing this. I appreciate him and his genuine love for our children. Thanks for your thoughtful reflection on his simple gestures :)

Unknown said...

Addie loves Charlie as well and always looks for him when we enter into the church - what a great man! Well said!