4.28.2008

Playing Hooky

The sunscreen has been lathered, the summer clothes pulled from drawers and closets because today we are going to play.  We are going to swing on the swings, bike around the neighborhood, play in the sandbox, have a picnic lunch and eat ice cream in the middle of the day.

There is laundry to be folded, floors to be vacuumed and washed, bathrooms to be cleaned and schoolwork to be done but those things will still be there tomorrow and the next day. Today, we need to embrace the nice weather (our first nice day in weeks) and have some fun. We need to forget our work and responsibilities and just play.  We need to laugh and be silly.  

Today is a day that is about taking a break from all other responsibilities and just being with my kids. Really being with them - listening to their chatter, focusing on their interactions and conversations, watching their imaginations in action, and observing new skills they have developed.  

Today we are playing hooky.

8 comments:

Short Stop said...

That is an awesome idea! What a great mom you are to plan this! I hope you're enjoying every minute!

Earen said...

Have a wonderful time!

Rachel Slagle said...

i love playing hooky! have fun!!

Jenni S. said...

Warm weather come back to us, because this sounds like a wonderful idea! Not that we couldn't do it inside, but I think we've all had as much "inside" as we can take!

Sarah Markley said...

so glad the weather is nice there. its 95 here. really. not lying.

Lynn said...

Yaaaaay!!! You get cool mom points for today!

Shan said...

I love Hookey days!!! My daughter and I had one last week, but we went to the mall to escape the heat!! haha XOXO

Alana said...

I needed to read that today...I need to play hooky with my youngest today!