1.27.2008

I am hoping


that these shoes can carry me 26.2 miles.  Yes, you read that correctly, 26.2 miles
I will be running in my first marathon on June 1st in San Diego.  

I will be participating in the marathon with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Participating in a marathon with LLS has been on my heart for a few years.  I decided this was the year since my kids are a bit older so getting out to train will be a little easier, I will turn *gulp* 35 this summer and I wanted to do something big in recognition, and I am hoping this will help me lose the last of the baby weight.

Last spring, we learned our neighbor Jack had leukemia.  Due to the research through LLS, Jack is in remission and taking a daily medication.  He did not have to have a bone marrow transplant, chemotherapy, or radiation.  A few years ago, the only treatment for Jack would have been a bone marrow transplant.  

I am running in honor of Jack.  I am hoping to raise $5000 for LLS.  If you would like to donate to LLS and my efforts, there is a link on my sidebar.  

Over the next four months, I will be training and logging a lot of miles.  I am hoping my shoes will carry me changed, uninjured, and renewed across the finish line.

8 comments:

Earen said...

That's wonderful Kristen! What a wonderful cause & sweet heart you have.

Jenni S. said...

Wow - 26.2 miles!!! And I'm nervous about trying to run 5 miles! Hope the training goes well.

lindsey said...

i am so impressed!

Anonymous said...

Kristen,
That is soooo great!!! I have always wanted to raise money and train with them too. I see them run at races and I am so inspired but then I think of my inability to run. (my farthest is a 10K)

I am rooting for you! I pray that the Lord will give you grace to train with the children and all the other responsibilities of home that you juggle. Know that your Blog friends are here to cheer you all the way!!

Pat Berg said...

Pat says "you'll need more than 1 pair of shoes to train with me".

Val says "I have another year till I turn 35 (since you are a year older than me) so I could make it my goal by 35 too - but we'll see if you can inspire me!"

We wish you all the best!

Sarah Markley said...

How awesome are you!!!! I can't wait to hear more!

I'm Tara. said...

Wow!!! Go for it, girlfriend. I will be cheering you on! (Btw - I'll be 35 this summer, too.) Keep us up to speed on your training. I'll support you in prayer.

Renee said...

Yay for you!! You go, girl!!

Can't wait to hear how it goes!